Help for Families and Senior Citizens of Nursing Home Abuse.

Fortunately, families and senior citizens affected by nursing home abuse are not without help. There are a variety of agencies available at local, state, and national levels to provide help and assistance to victims of nursing home abuse.

Most importantly, if you or someone you care about is in an emergency situation you should dial 911 and contact the police as soon as possible. Police and medical attention should be your first priority if your life becomes entangled with a nursing home abuse case. Additionally, an experienced attorney can help your family navigate the law and fight for justice.

Your decision to pursue legal action against those responsible for your suffering can have many benefits. By calling attention to the practices of unscrupulous nursing homes, you can prevent others from knowing the pain you have endured. Additionally, an attorney can help your family obtain compensation that can help you lead a more secure and promising future. Do not hesitate to discuss your case with an understanding lawyer today.

How and Where to Report Nursing Home Abuse:

There are many ways one can report nursing home abuse. One of the easiest methods is through the telephone. Every state has hotlines that are available for the public to call to report incidents of elder abuse or neglect. Additionally, the local police should be contacted to ensure that perpetrators of abuse face punishments for their illegal activities.

Adult Protective Services (APS) is an agency that investigates cases of elder and adult abuse that one can contact regarding nursing home abuse cases. Additionally, state long term care (LTC) ombudsman programs, information and referral (I & R) lines at area agencies on aging, and the nationwide eldercare locator number (1-800-677-1116) are good resources for families to turn to if their loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse.

In addition to the government-supported agencies in place for families to turn to for reporting nursing home abuse, an experienced lawyer can also help you report nursing home abuse. Your decision to work with an attorney ensures that your case will proceed as it should, minimizing any complications or hurdles you may otherwise encounter. If you or someone you care about has suffered nursing home abuse, do not hesitate to discuss your case with an understanding nursing home abuse lawyer today.

^ Back To Top

State Elder Abuse Hotlines


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-458-7214


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-730-6393 (Toll free in Alaska)
                                                          Outside of Alaska: 907-334-4483


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-SOS-ADULT or 1-877-767-2385
                                                          TDD: 1-877-815-8390


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-582-4887


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-231-4024


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-773-1366
                                                          or 1-800-886-7689, Ext. 2800


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-860-424-5241


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-223-9074


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-96ABUSE or 1-800-962-2873


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-878-6442


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-808-832-5115(Oahu)
                                                          (Maui, Molokai, and Lanai)
                                                          1-808-241-3432 (Kauai)
                                                          1-808-933-8820 (East Hawaii)
                                                          1-808-327-6280 (West Hawaii)


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-877-471-2777


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-252-4343


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-992-6978


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1 -800-686-0027 or 1-877-686-0027


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-842-0078 or 1-877-662-8362


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : Elder Abuse Hotline: 1-800-752-6200
                                                          Long Term Care Ombudsman:
                                                         TTY (for hearing impaired):
                                                         Attorney General's Patient Abuse Tip                                                          Line: 1-877-ABUSE TIP


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-259-4990


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-383-2441


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-917-7383 or
                                                          1-800-AGE-DIAL, Ext. 1091


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-462-5540
                                                          1-800-AGE-INFO (1-800-243-4636)


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-882-6006


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-333-2433


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-227-7308


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-392-0210


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-551-3191


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-652-1999


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-992-5757

New Hampshire

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-442-5640

New Jersey

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-792-8820

New Mexico

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-797-3260

New York

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-888-201-4563

North Carolina

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-662-7030

North Dakota

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-451-8693


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-342-0533


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-522-3511


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-522-2602


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-254-5164

Rhode Island

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 401-785-3340

South Carolina

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 803-898-2850

South Dakota

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 605-773-3656


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-888-APS-TENN


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-458-9858


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-371-7897


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-564-1612


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-888-83-ADULT


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-562-6078

West Virginia

   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-352-6513


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 1-800-815-0015


   Hotline - Report Elder Abuse : 307-777-6137

^ Back To Top

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) is a network of state agencies that investigate abuse, neglect and exploitation of adults who are elderly or have disabilities.

^ Back To Top

Insurance Information and Coverage

Some insurance policies offer help for families and senior citizens by offsetting the costs of a nursing home. Nursing homes are very expensive and can cost more than 50,000 dollars a year, depending on the facilities and care offered.

Some insurance companies offer benefits in their coverage that can help make nursing home care more affordable for families. The best way to determine if a particular company offers these benefits is to contact them directly. The benefits of nursing home coverage may overshadow costs for senior citizens and their families.

If you or someone you care about is considering purchasing an insurance policy with nursing home coverage, it is important to review the policy carefully. An experienced attorney can help ensure there are no misunderstandings and can ensure the security of your family. Do not hesitate to contact a lawyer today.

^ Back To Top

Resources and Helpful Links

Elder abuse is a serious problem that affects hundreds of thousands of innocent and defenseless victims. Fortunately, there are resources and helpful organizations that exist to provide assistance to senior citizens and their families who are victims of elder or nursing home abuse.

Adult Protective Services has offices with hotlines in all 50 states that work confidentially with victims of elder or nursing home abuse. State offices can be located at the following link:

Additionally, the Administration on Aging ( is committed to protecting senior citizens and their families from elder abuse. Finally, the National Center on Elder Abuse is a good resource for victims and their families (

Community, Regional, and National Organizations: Federal Government:
  • - -
  • By clicking the "Submit" button below, you agree that law firms you are matched with may contact you by telephone even if you are on a federal or state Do Not Call registry. Up to 10 law firms may respond to your request within approximately 2 weeks. In some cases 3 or more firms may respond to your request after 30 days. Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use.

Home | Sitemap

Website Design & Web Positioning by Wise Law Group

Copyright ©2012- All rights reserved | Terms of Use

This State list of Hotlines for Elder abuse and Nursing home abuse was updated on 4/09/2013